On Friday, August 26, filmmakers from all over the Chicago area will compete to see who can make the best short film in only 48 hours.
How does it work?
At 7:30 PM, filmmakers will be assigned a genre, character, prop and line of dialogue that they must work into their film. All will deliver a finished 4-to-7 minute film by 7:30 p.m. Sunday, August 28th.
Who can participate?
Any team, regardless of skill level, is eligible to participate in this competition. Submitted films, judged by local industry pros, will be screened for the public at the Music Box Theater on September 11th and 12th. Winners will receive special prizes and will be eligible for top honors consideration at Filmapalooza, the 48Hour Film Project's annual awards, and will also screen at a Chicago "Best of Festival" on September 15th.
Through Special Arrangement, IFP Chicago Members Can Save $20 Off Registration Through Tuesday, August 16. Register here!
Attention IFP Chicago Members! To save $20 at registration, EMAIL US for the code! The discount is only valid through Tuesday, August 16, so sign up today!
After going to the link above (very important!), begin your registration by either:
1. Logging in with your email and password if have an account with us, e.g., you have participated in the 48 Hour Film Project before; or
2. If instead, you are a New User, click on the link on that page: click here to continue registration
Fill in the registration form and then when you reach the payment page, find the "Discount" line and click on "enter and apply".
What's the prize?
The winner of Best Film of 2016 receives:
- Best Film of Chicago Trophy
- Movie Magic Screenwriter Software 6: The premier screenwriting software and the choice of Hollywood. ($250 value)
- Filmapalooza Screening: The City Winner will be screened at Filmapalooza 2017, the official 48HFP Awards Weekend.
- A Trophy which will be presented at Filmapalooza.
Last year 54 teams competed and the winners appeared on WCIU's "You and Me in the Morning
An international panel of judges will select the Best Film of 2016 from among the best film of each city. The winner will be announced at our Awards Ceremony at Filmapalooza 2017 and they will receive:
- The Grand Prize Trophy
- $5000 USD Cash Prize
- Cannes Film Festival, Court Métrage
Want to take part even if you're not a filmmaker?
Please note that if you're an Actor, Musician, Editor or other Industry Professional interested in volunteering their services to one or several filmmaking teams this year, please visit our newly released Resource Database and send us your info!
What are you waiting for? Gather your team and sign up now to participate and see your film screen at the Music Box Theater in September!